Sunday, November 28, 2010

God's Awesome Promise

Sometimes when I'm sitting in chapel or church with my Bible and notebook pulled out, I get this feeling that I'm fitting the "Christian stereotype." You know, the good little girl that writes down everything the preacher is saying but never takes another glance at what she wrote. I wonder if it's even worth it to write down my thoughts or the things God is teaching me. But tonight, like many other nights, when I just don't know where to turn to in my Bible I open up my notebook and look through old sermons or thoughts I've jotted down and it becomes clear why I like to record things on paper (plus my horrible memory requires it). God is so powerful teaches us lessons over and over again. I just wanted to share one of the pages I was reading because I think it's something everyone has struggled with at one time or another, and a good reminder of how much God loves us. It's hardest for me to seek God when I'm in sin because of the guilt I feel, but that's when I need Him the most. Pray always. Never let a moment with God pass because of feelings of unworthiness. We are all unworthy, and God loves us inspite of that.

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
Right before this verse, the Bible says "If we claim to be without sin we are liars." Everyone has sinned. We are not unique in this way, but we don't have to stay here. Our sin should not hold us back or keep us from pursuing God, because God can overcome sin. I have the hardest time with guilt. I just can't accept that my sin is completely gone. Instead, I let Satan dangle it over me and keep me from seeking God. I let him make me feel unworthy and dirty. And while on my own those things are true, God frees me from them. He purifies us and forgives us. God doesn't hold our sin over our heads. He forgives us and continues to shape us and mold us and love and seek our hearts. God is love ,and this is His expression of love to us.

No comments: